Check out the Zenefits article on 5 Things Employees Value More Than Salary. I was honored to share my thoughts (supported by industry-leading research) on drivers of employee satisfaction and job candidate engagement. The article has also been picked up by Human Resources Today.
I ascribe to the Daniel Pink philosophy about salary. In Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, he says, “The best use of money as a motivator is to pay people enough to take the issue of money off the table.”
The top 5 drivers of employee satisfaction
In my experience as a manager for over 15 years, the keys to employee satisfaction, engagement, and retention are:
1) Purpose: People seek work that feels purposeful and meaningful to them.
2) A great boss: People leave or stay for their managers, not jobs or companies.
3) Culture: People are looking for a healthy culture with values in alignment to their own.
4) Recognition: People desire appreciation for the personal value they bring.
5) Development: People feel valued and rewarded when their company makes an investment in their growth.
When do you feel most satisfied in your work? What would it take for you to be totally satisfied? What one step can you take today to move toward that direction?